You are here
2012-13 Strategic Goals
Note: Student Affairs completed a strategic planning process during the 2013-14 academic year. The information below was last updated in November, 2012.
Student Affairs transforms lives. We provide quality programs, services, facilities and living environments that create the Illinois experience at Urbana-Champaign which empowers students to achieve the greatest potential in their personal and academic development.
Current strategic goals
Enhanced Knowledge & Appreciation of Diversity
- Enhance intercultural competencies (e.g. knowledge, attitudes, behaviors) in students and Student Affairs
- staff to appreciate diversity.
- Increase recruiting, supporting, and retaining underrepresented and low-income student populations.
- Assess the programming designed to meet the needs of diverse populations.
- Increase the hiring and retention of underrepresented staff to meet the Student Affairs strategic hiring goals with particular attention to Asian American, International and Latina/o populations.
Environmentally Sound and Culturally Relevant Facilities
- New facilities will achieve the campus LEED and I-CAP standards.
- Continue to update and maintain existing facilities to meet appropriate University LEED and I-CAP standards.
- All Student Affairs facilities will have updated management information systems and technology infrastructures, including wireless computer access.
- Every Student Affairs facility will have some aspect of culturally relevant design, naming or enhancement.
- Explore and expand new revenue generation opportunities in Student Affairs facilities, particularly during the summer months.
Clarity and Enhancement of the Student Experience at Illinois
- Gain greater understanding (define and measure) of the social and co-curricular aspects of the student experience through evaluation and assessment of programs and services.
- Create and sustain a welcoming and safe community for new students by developing learning outcomes which measure the efficacy of new student programs
Engagement with and Commitment to Partners and Stakeholders
- Develop mutually beneficial collaborative partnerships within Student Affairs and with other University units and departments.
- Promote Student Affairs and identify partners to enhance service to students and fundraising.
- Coordinate and enhance communication with students’ parents/families.
- Continue to enhance the Student Affairs website and other promotional materials for effective communication with on- and off-campus constituents.
Responsive to Emerging Issues in Higher Education
- Create effective staff development programs in response to emerging issues in Student Affairs and higher education.
- Stay abreast of technology and social media so we can use all resources to communicate with relevant groups, with special attention to students.
- Create an environment of accountability and financial stewardship by utilizing assessment and evaluation to improve programs and services, and encouraging entrepreneurial behavior in Student Affairs.
- Gather and share information about new international/national/regional/local laws and regulations relevant to higher education.
Goals updated November, 2012
For further information, contact:Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
120 Swanlund Administration Building
601 East John Street
Champaign, IL 61820